[plug] google going down the googler?

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:01:28 WST 2005

On 12/12/05, Steve Boak <sboak@***.com.au> wrote:

> I seem to be having trouble getting google to give sensible results these
> days
> - as an example, I'm getting a flood of .gz files with almost every search
> of
> any sort of linux keywords. I searched for "exim4 listenonpublic" (without
> the quotes), and out of 57 results, about 40 were .gz files two or three
> megabytes in size without any indication of the contents.
>
> Including nonsensical results such as:
>
> security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.34-5ubuntu1.1.diff.gz
> File Format: Unrecognized - View as HTML
>
> If the format is unrecognisable, does it make sense to view it as HTML?
>
> I had to try it - clicking on the 'HTML' link gives: "Sorry, no content
> found
> for this URL".
>
> So the bottom line is, is there any way to tell google to exclude
> particular
> file types from it's search?

<snip>
The same search gave me the results as -
'Results *1* - *20* of about *194* *English* pages for *exim4 listenonpublic
*. (*0.70* seconds) '

I do have preferences saved for google, but the only option I believe that I
have changed is to give English results only.  Do you get the same results
from a different browser or computer, or a different domain i.e. google.comvs
google.com.au ?

And is anyone else getting the feeling it's time to find a new search
> engine?

I generally find that trial and error with more specific or conversely, more
general search terms usually bring the results that I am after.

http://www.googleguide.com or other results from searching for 'exclude
particular file types from google search' might help, that is, if google
works good enough to give some helpful result?

regards,
  Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com
2000+ Mbs of email !!