[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Tue Dec 13 18:07:37 WST 2005

Going back on previous posts I found this snippet:-

----------------------------- snip -----------------------------
I may sound like I'm beating the same drum but instead of trying to
be good at everything the Linux desktop should find its true target
persona and be truly great at that one thing.

Is the persona for Linux a business user or a gamer?
The business user doesn't want an OS that lets their employees
play games. The gamer doesn't want an OS that doesn't play games.

Whose problem do we want to solve? If you try to satisfy everyone you
end up satisfying no one.
----------------------------- snip -----------------------------

I think the last part says it all. In the M$ world, being everything to
everyone ends up as bloteware. Is it any wander that you need huge
amounts of ram and cutting edge processor speed to do anything. I
remember when the Linux environment used to load quite fast once you
made the optimizations that M$ does as part of its install. Now it takes
forever to load a desktop.

I have lost count the number of times I have done a linux distro install
only to find on reboot the graphical interface is not functioning, but
wait, I just had a graphical interface for my install ??????????

Who cares if the right video driver is available, the point is there was a
GUI running before now there's not. You can always install the correct
driver later, as is the case with M$.

The old saying, first impression is a lasting impression, is so true. Only
geeks can get this going, therefore it is a geeks platform! Am I a geek!!!

Let us focus on our target market, today's Mr and Mrs average, this
is where acceptance will come from. If they can't get it going for
themselves they are less likely to consider this is the new age
operating system and is it for them. Probably not, its too hard to get it
going!