[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 14 10:00:12 WST 2005

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> This is an interesting comment. Linux is now so bloated, that where we
> were able to run machines with W98 and Wme on a network and now have
> converted them to Linux on the same network, they don't have enough
> memory to run.
>
> We have had to upgrade the memory 4 fold, just to keep the machine usable.
>
> Not a good ad for Linux, I'm afraid.

Yes, I'm glad someone else said that.  Most typical, packaged, desktop
distros of Linux need as many hardware resources as their equivalent
Windoze solutions.  The days of using those old boxes and still getting
modern performance out of them are long gone for most Linux users.

Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!