[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 20 10:10:52 WST 2005

Daniel Foote <freefoote at gmail.com> writes:

>I think what was meant to be said was about Intel's AMD64-like chip.
>It's generally referred to as "EMT64", and works quite similarly to
>the AMD64 chip. It actually uses the same "technology" under licence
>from AMD (so it can do the 32-bit stuff too). As I understand...

>I also understand that at this point they are inferior, due to not
>having a decent memory controller built into them, unlike the AMD64.
>But I can't verify this... and I'm sure Intel will fix this up, in
>time.

>Not that I have one. I've got a real AMD64 chip now, and I'm also
>running Debian AMD64 on it. I also have a 32-bit chroot on it - a
>necessary evil, for the moment. But all the 64 bit native stuff works
>very well! I haven't done any benchmarks, though.

Why the chroot? SuSE supports both 32- and 64-bit applications
"transparently" on the same root.

There are some shennanigans with lib/lib64 etc. but it works quite
smoothly in mixed mode.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | German words of the year 2005:
 X   against HTML mail     | Bundeskanzlerin Tsunami Gammelfleisch
/ \  and postings          | Sadly, in that order.