[plug] Best UPS for Linux

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Wed Dec 21 16:29:08 WST 2005

Hi All

I have a server running a 350W ATX PSU and a mainboard that has both USB
and serial ports.  In the event of a power outage, we would like the
server to stay up for 5 minutes or so.  If nothing has changed after 5
minutes it would be ideal if the UPS could then start a shutdown sequence.

So all up a UPS that is Linux compatible (currently running Mandrake /
Mandriva), would keep the server ticking over for 10 minutes total -
anything longer is a bonus - and could issue a shutdown command if
necessary after 5 minutes would be ideal.  We might try and keep the
phone system and ADSL modem running also, so I'd go to a better model to
get that option.  However, that is just a matter of taking down some
numbers and getting enough VA for what we need to run.  First and
foremost, it needs to get us through a real short outage and talk to
Linux via USB or serial.  What do you look for on the box to KNOW that
it will play nicely with Linux??

Any good experiences?  Any bad experiences?  Any recommendations?  Any
good brands?  Any bad brands?  Anywhere to get some more information?

All answers, stories or suggestions are appreciated as I want to get
something done before Friday and have so far got very few answers...

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com