[plug] David's ADSL Problem

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:26:07 WST 2005

Hello. In reply...

> There is a talk I gave for PLUG that explains the approach that we have
> taken here:
> http://www.computerangels.org.au/resources/plug2005.shtml
>
> In summary (and this appears to be an anathema for some tech people) the
> Computer Angels system is set-up and we interact with our participants
> in the same way as retailers do every day (only they charge a commercial
> rate).
>
> Most people never change their software, including reloading the OS,
> without some help; either from a friend or by returning the machine to
> the shop.

[snip]

> But even this is equivalent to someone seeking advice on a product from
> the retailer.
>
> We think the approach is the right one for the people we are wanting to
> help.

I don't disagree at all. I think this is very appropriate. This was
also the point I was trying to make in my last email (before the
instructions) - about not recommending/installing Debian unless I was
actively supporting it. You guys are actively supporting it, so that
fixes that requirement.

I vaugley recall reading that he had a computer-angels machine and had
also tried this before. I posted the solution because if worst comes
to worst, he can do that to the box and maybe get online.

It was not intended to take away or "damage" the work that Computer Angels do.

Also, it was what Jonathan was looking for, and answers his question.
Wether or not anyone actually uses it to fix this problem is up for
discussion. I'm all for user-friendly ways of fixing it.

Daniel.