[plug] rp-pppoe config help

collin at xorotude.com collin at xorotude.com
Fri Dec 30 12:15:46 WST 2005

Hello All,

I am going to try to setup my ADSL in bridge mode this weekend, using
rp-pppoe on a slackware 10.2 box. I wish to host my own domain and
therefore would like to not have to deal with NAT.

I have previously set my gateway up this way, but had issues with the
connection dieing(sp?) after a random number of hours, giving
lcp-echo-request timeout errors. I'm using a Billion 5100, and I believe I
had it set correctly to bridge mode. The problem is that when this
occured, I needed to stop rp-pppoe and hard reset the modem before
rp-pppoe could re-establish a connection.

I'm looking for pointers or possibly conf files which might be helpful.
Hints from anyone who has experienced similar problems and how they
overcame them.

I tried playing with the timeout length, and if I made it large enough,
some other error popped up, which I can no longer rememeber, so I just
left it and set the router back to NAT mode.

I have considered semi-bridged mode, where the modem handles the
connection, but the IP is assigned to the linux eth iface just as in
bridged mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Collin Baillie