[plug] Urgent need of a SCSI cable or adapter - prefer SOR.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Dec 31 13:47:39 WST 2005

Michael Hunt wrote:

> What I am hoping is that someone on the list may have an old controller
> card or cables lying around that I can beg, borrow or buy from them for
> the purposes of data recovery. All I really need is some config files
> in /etc and my maildir and some other stuff from /home.

I can't lend you the controller, but if you're convenient to Shenton
Park I can offer you access to a machine with a 68-pin SCSI bus (and, if
it's helpful, a DDS4 tape drive) that won't mind being powered down and
poked at.

> do have some wide to narrow converters (i.e convert from the wide ribbon
> cable connector to the narrow connector or HD68 Female --> IDC50 Female
> - see http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html for pics
> of connectors) but nothing the other way.

Hmm... I used to have adapters for both directions around. No promises,
as I'll need to go digging in the "miscellaneous stuff" box at work, but
they're probably still about.

> A plain narrow scsi cable

That, I can give you with no fuss. I might even have a narrow controller
around I guess, I'll have to check.

> I seem to remember that the
> home partition was on the wide drive so I'll need a wide cable if some
> one has one.

Only in use, but you're quite welcome to make use of that machine for
data recovery as outlined above.

--
Craig Ringer