[plug] Urgent need of a SCSI cable or adapter - update

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Sat Dec 31 00:35:00 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 17:41 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2005 at 23:42, Michael Hunt wrote:
>
> > What I am hoping is that someone on the list may have an old controller
> > card or cables lying around that I can beg, borrow or buy from them for
> > the purposes of data recovery. All I really need is some config files ...

All help so far is very much appreciated.

> I have had a dig around and found :
>
> 1 adaptec scsi controller for ISA slot - AHA - 1520B S6		964400 B
>
> 1 adaptec scsi controller for PCI slot - AHA-2940U/HP		1639900 A

Arie can you confirm for me what type of connectors are on the second
card? I'm unable to find an exact match on the Adaptec website to the
product, but I am hoping that the HP indicates it has a 'MiniD68' or
“HPDB68” (Ultra wide SCSI-3/ Ultra2 LVD SCSI/ wide Differential SCSI
that can come in both internal and external flavours).

According to the web site I quoted earlier :-

The easy way to tell the difference between an HD50 and an HD68 (unless
you want to count those tiny little pins) is to measure them. HD50 is
about 1 3/8” (36mm), and the HD68 is about 1 7/8” (47mm).

The cable I am after is something like the following :-

SCSI-III Internal Ribbon Cable (68½DMx2)
https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?af=570&as=33868&az=1&ai=1168066

By kind loan from Bob I have a controller and cable for the scsi drive
with a narrow bus (that actually uses a wider square 50 pin connector)
but not the wide bus (that actually uses a narrower d shaped connector).
This has enabled me to get data off of tape and the narrow drive, but
not the wide drive which houses home and my maildir.

If by chance you have a controller card and/or cable that matches the
above I would be very grateful.

> Both cards have standard 50 pin internal connector as well as a narrow
> scsi external connector

I'm not actually sure my problem is with the controller (it's on board
and I would be very surprised if after all these years of faultless
working the controller chip has suddenly died). Given the state of the
cable and the errors I'm looking at that issue first. Leon has a
controller with appropriate connectors, but there the issue still seems
to be finding an appropriate cable.

> 4 scsi cables in various configurations.

This what I am really interested in. If you can let me know what
connectors they have on them I would be very grateful.

> Regards Arie

Thanks to Bob, Leon and Arie for all your offers of help so far. It is
much appreciated. In the worst case scenario I can order a replacement
cable from the store above, but as firstly I'm a bit pressed for time on
the data (the wife wants to know when the mail server will be back up)
and secondly the cable is only going to see a single use (i.e. for this
one process of data recovery) I'd prefer to borrow one if anyone has
one.

Thanks again,

Michael