[plug] getting glx graphics working

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:51:47 WST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:45:59 +0800, Innis Cunningham <innisc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Guys
> I have managed to get rid of the swap files but the original problem
> remains
> Modify the XF86Config-4 file to uncomment the "Load glx" line save the file.
> Check with KWrite the line is uncommented.
> Re Boot the computer, check with KWrite the line is commented out again.
> I can not understand what is happening.Unlees something is detecting that
> I dont have the software to allow glx to run.
> Thanks for any help.

Hmm... does Mandrake 10 still use that file? Its been xorg.conf for a
while for me.

This is a lot easier to diagnose from the console command line, though
you will need to be able to use vi or similar.

Log out of any graphical sessions then hit <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> to bring
you to the console.

Log in as root.

type 'init 3' to bring you out of run level 5 (Graphical user mode)
Edit the file with vi (or preferred) and uncomment the line.
run startx (should get a default graphical desktop for root)
Log out of X - see if there are any (EE) messages on the console.
Check to see if the glx line is still uncommented.

If the line is still uncommented, see if it is still uncommented after
typing 'init 5' and logging in.

Carl G