[plug] Dell vs HP for Linux desktop

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:43:39 WST 2005

Hey Ben,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:51:49 +0800, Ben Jensz <plug at jensz.id.au> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We're coming up to our desktop computer renewal at work (leased
> computers), and I'm looking at a choice between Dell or HP desktop
> computers to run a Linux desktop on (not touching whitebox PCs again).

Support calls to Dell take a minimum of 25 minutes, and they will ask
you to run wondows utilities.

HP seem a little better, they actually pick up the phone within 5
usually. Be carefull with resellers here, they have a habit of
replacing HP parts with cheaper alternatives, making it impossible to
get support directly from hp.

> Has anyone used either of these systems with Linux (or even Windows) and
> had any issues or comments about compatibility and even reliability?

The BIOS from Dell almost always needs updating serveral times in the
first 6 months, especially for laptops. HP again are a little better
in this regard.

> I'm going to base the desktop on Fedora with Gnome, using Evolution and
> OpenOffice with NIS for distributed authentication and NFS for home
> direcectories.  Anyone have any suggestions, comments or gotchas to look
> out for doing this?

That setup works well for me - though I am looking at ldap. Both HP
and Dell boxes work out of the box with Fedora 1, 2, & 3

I've also been trialling ibms, they require a little more work, but
i've had no problems.

Thanks

Carl G