[plug] exim 3 -> exim 4 update

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:58:13 WST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:41:01 +0800 (WST), Shayne O'Neill
<shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> Hey all. 2 of the servers I admin run exim 3. Its an otherwise fantastic
> little MTA and I've basically got it worked out.
>
> However it doesnt 'do' spamassassin or virus checkers in any simple way I
> can discern.
>
> Now the servers both run mailman installs also, lots of mailboxes, some
> accessed thru imap, some thru pop, some thu pine and some thru webmail via
> imap.
>
> Mailboxes DO occasionally seem to end up in various odd places (home
> directories OR mail directories) and I've never quite worked the pattern
> out, nor do I really care, because it just works.
>
> However I'd like to upgrade to exim 4 to get those 'nice' features I
> really need.
>
> Any suggestions on how easy this is likely to be. Is it a complete horror?
> Should I consider something else?

I did it a couple of months back and it was very straight forward.
Just apt-get and a few questions and it all worked pretty well. It's
just a small setup with three users and two domains. But I didn't have
to do anything 'user' specific.

I don't think I even asked you guys for help it was that simple.  :)

> The guild server has perhaps 80 mailboxes, so having to tweak settings for
> each user is really out of the question.
>
> --
> "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do
> it, that's trustworthiness."
> -- George Bush on CNN online chat, Aug.30, 2000
> RIAA Copyright notice trap: http://guild.murdoch.edu.au/~shayne/

Regards,
Russ