[plug] Linux Home vs Linux Server.?

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Sat Jan 8 07:58:56 WST 2005

This is probably a silly question, but forgive me as I have not used Linux
for a few years now, but want to set up a Linux machine ASAP, or should I
say ASAFP (As Soon As Finances Permit)

M$ currently has Windows XP Home, Win Xp Pro, and Win Server 2003 as its
principle operating systems.  Am I right in saying that there is essentially
only one Linux and the user configures it the way he/she wants it? - no Home
version, Pro version , or Server version?

I understand that there are many distributions of Linux:  Red Hat; Debian;
Mandrake; etc - I am not talking about the different distributions, but
rather that we don't have, for example,  a Debian Home,  Debian Pro,  Debian
Server ... do we?  Is it true that Debian is just Debian and you can set it
up for home use, commercial use or on a Server?

Kind regards,  James Elliott