[plug] Linux Home vs Linux Server.?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 8 08:28:35 WST 2005

Mandrake used to have a "server" and "workstation" install - choose from
the installer when run - it allows default choices of packages for each
use.  The difference is in the number and types of packages installed.
MS's approach selling a XP home and XP pro seem more like a marketing
scam.

For meta distros like gentoo, you choose your own package mix, and to
change from a desktop to a server, you change the package mix and then
let the system install/uninstall as neccessary - very flexible.  Debian
would be similar.

Its only a silly question in that this is a marking pushed division in
that the various capabilities you require need to be purchased - with
linux its more a configuration issue.

BillK