[plug] confused about linux

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Jan 8 12:29:40 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 12:17, mary welch wrote:
> i am running windows xp pro at present and would like to convert to
> linux-mandrake 10.1. i am getting confused with everything i am reading
> on the web whether it is better to partition my computer and keep
> windows or completely change to linux. Also i don't know whether i
> should download the cd's or buy linux e.g. not powerpack but discovery.i
> am not experienced in partition my computer either. i am using nero cd
> burner program too.
> mary

I would suggest downloading Knoppix and trying it out if you haven't
already so that you can get an idea of what Linux is like.

You can download it at.

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Knoppix is a live-cd based distro so you can boot off it and start-up a
complete Linux system without installing it on your harddrive.

The other question is do you have a anything important on your XP
machine such as documents, application data, photos, contact details and
e-mails? If so you will need to be careful that you do not accidentally
destroy these when installing Linux.

Many installers allow you to resize the NTFS (Windows) partition to make
room for Linux but you should back up everything first anyway.

You could even install a separate hard drive and use that for Linux and
keep the current Windows drive untouched. The price of a 40gb harddrive
these days is slightly less than 2 cartons of beer.

If there is no important programs or data on your XP install and you not
longer wish to use it then by all means wipe it and install Linux.

Otherwise you will need to carefully plan the transition.

--
Chris Caston

Aptitude Technology
http://www.aptitudetech.com.au
ABN: 51614966828

Office: 1300 722 146
mobile: 0422 978315

We can't save time, we can only spend it wisely.