[plug] confused about linux

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 8 12:55:11 WST 2005

mary welch <kiwiaus2003 at bigpond.com> writes:

>i am running windows xp pro at present and would like to convert to
>linux-mandrake 10.1. i am getting confused with everything i am reading
>on the web whether it is better to partition my computer and keep
>windows or completely change to linux. Also i don't know whether i
>should download the cd's or buy linux e.g. not powerpack but discovery.i
>am not experienced in partition my computer either. i am using nero cd
>burner program too.

After you get the SHIFT key fixed on your keyboard you can install
Linux in whatever way you choose. The option you choose depends on
how critical it is that you continue running particular applications
and the amount of data that you need to keep or interchange between
operating systems.

Here's a list of options and the requirements/limitations, in the
order of confidence that you have in your ability to use Linux for
what you need.

* Add new hard drive for Linux and boot Linux from floppy as required

  This preserves your entire Windows environment allowing you to
  boot into Windows as before but requiring that you insert a boot
  floppy if you want to run Linux.

  You'll be able to see all the Windows files from Linux.

  Once you're confident that you no longer need Windows, you can
  allocate the space from the Windows drive to Linux.

* Add new hard drive for Linux and boot Linux from hard disc

  This preserves your entire Windows environment allowing you to
  boot into either Windows or Linux by making a choice in a boot
  menu.  Note that Windows may over-write the section of the disc
  from where the boot function is controlled if it thinks there's
  something wrong.

  You'll be able to see all the Windows files from Linux.

  Once you're confident that you no longer need Windows, you can
  allocate the space from the Windows drive to Linux.

* Repartition Windows existing hard disc and install Linux

  This preserves your entire Windows environment, but reduces the
  space available to Windows. You boot into either Windows or Linux
  by making a choice in a boot menu; either from the hard disc or
  boot floppy.  Note that Windows may over-write the section of the
  hard disc from where the boot function is controlled if it thinks
  there's something wrong.

  Changing Windows' partition size is not 100% reliable; because
  Microsoft is refusing to tell people exactly how some of its
  filesystems are supposed to work.

  I've repartitioned dozens of times without problems, but YMMV. So
  make sure that you have a backup of important data before
  repartitioning and defragment before repartitioning. You may have
  to defragment several times from safe mode in order to make enough
  space available for Linux.

  You'll be able to see all the Windows files from Linux.

  Once you're confident that you no longer need Windows, you can
  allocate the space from the Windows partition to Linux.

* Repartition hard disc for Linux to use the whole disc.

  This means that you no longer have to mess with Windows.

  Windows files will be gone. If you had anything worth saving, then
  a backup CD/DVD should be able to be read from Linux.

HTH