[plug] confused about linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jan 8 13:04:42 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 12:17, mary welch (mostly) wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Pro at present and would like to convert to
> Linux-Mandrake 10.1. I am getting confused with everything I am reading
> on the web - whether it is better to partition my computer and keep
> windows or completely change to Linux. Also I don't know whether I
> should download the cd's or buy linux e.g. not Powerpack but Discovery.
> I am not experienced in partition my computer either. I am using nero
> Nero burner program too.
> Mary

I think others have answered most of your questions, but there's one
point I think hasn't been emphasised enough:

BACK UP ALL OF YOUR FILES.

While a dual-boot install, where you keep Windows but add Linux, should
not harm your files and programs under Windows, it is IMPORTANT that you
back them up just in case. Copying them on to CDs is usually a good way
to do this. Remember that Windows programs often store files in odd
places, especially your "C:\Documents and Settings\" folder and the
Application Data folder within it. Your email and address book is often
hidden away here, for example. Don't forget to back it up.

I'm sure you do regular backups already ;-) but a reminder is usually a
good idea.

--
Craig Ringer