[plug] gnome doesnt like hostname changes?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 12 20:57:14 WST 2005

In message <1105525168.26273.13.camel at rattus.Localdomain>
on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:19:28PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi, I have a laptop that I move around various networks, some dhcp and
> some not.  For various reasons, I ve decided to move from a fixed
> (non-resolvable) hostname to taking the designated hostname from either
> DHCP or a static allocation for the particular network I am plugged into

Interesting. When I try to think of applications and daemons that
are designed to cope with hostnames defensively, it seems that
counterexamples come to mind more easily. In particular, I note that
although Mac OS X is designed to "adapt" to changing hotnames, most
third-party UNIX applications (e.g. shells) don't "adapt". Perhaps you
would be better off mapping the old hostname to the new hostname (i.e.
map the unresolvable hostname to whatever your current network address
is).