[plug] gnome doesnt like hostname changes?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 12 21:27:30 WST 2005

Tomorrow I am going to try and add the current three hostnames
to /etc/hosts pointing to localhost and see if that helps.  Googling
brings up you should add your own hostname to the hosts file in this
fashion, but nowhere have I seen it used like this so we will have to
see - might break something else!.

BillK

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 20:57 +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1105525168.26273.13.camel at rattus.Localdomain>
> Interesting. When I try to think of applications and daemons that
> are designed to cope with hostnames defensively, it seems that
> counterexamples come to mind more easily. In particular, I note that
> although Mac OS X is designed to "adapt" to changing hotnames, most
> third-party UNIX applications (e.g. shells) don't "adapt". Perhaps you
> would be better off mapping the old hostname to the new hostname (i.e.
> map the unresolvable hostname to whatever your current network address
> is).

Home!