[plug] KDE+OpenOffice and CodeWeavers - antagonism in Gentoo?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 12:05:25 WST 2005

Dear PLUG list members,

A previously nicely-working Gentoo system with KDE and OpenOffice.org was
introduced to CodeWeavers Crossover Office so that a Windows application
(EndNote) could be run.   All was well and an e-mail was sent off to CW to
determine price, payment options, etc etc.   That was late last year.

Time went by and no reply came to the price request mail.   Eventually CW
expired but all seemed still well in KDE + OpenOffice land.   Recently
however it seems that CW's insistence that it remained installed
inappropriately, upped the ante and OpenOffice ceased to work - click the
Writer icon on the KDE desktop for example and all you got was the benefit
of the (finger) exercise.

CW was duly uninstalled as per instructions - remove the userland parts and
then the main application.   No joy - OO.o still refused to fire up.   So
decided to unemerge the openoffice package and re emerge it.   After a
couple of misadventures accidentally trying to compile the jolly thing from
source with only a 2 gig var partition, I chose the right (openoffice-bin)
package and OO is itself fine.

BUT the desktop icons on KDE (for Writer, Calc, etc) continue to refuse to
function.

Now the whole blame-Crossover Office thing may have been a Bad Reaction
(tm) to recent Windows XP work-related stress but none the less the
inability to fire up OO.o from KDE, remains.

Gentoo is the OS in use, if that makes a difference although I suspect this
is more a KDE-can't-find-OO.o problem.   I can VNC into the machine and
fire up writer, calc, etc just fine.

Thanks for any hints!
Denis

P.S. and A Happy New Year to PLUGgers.   May 2005 be kinder in many ways
than 2004 seemed to be.