[plug] Strange NFS problem [UNCLASSIFIED]

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:47:25 WST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:31:56 +0800, Simon Scott <simon at plumtek.com> wrote:
> I wouldnt think so - I have ldap authentication setup on the server and
> my desktop, and the permissions look fine.
>
> I also have part of the home directory shared via smb - and I can see
> the contents of the DVD just fine.
>
> Appears to be an NFS problem - does NFS have a \'stay on this
> filesystem\' flag or something?

Yes and no.

>From memory the following is illegal (or the default behavior)

mount nfsmount_of_server_a on /server_b/blah/
export /server_b/blah
mount nfsserver:/mnt/blah on other desktops /mnt/bork

ls /mnt/bork will be empty.

I know this to be the case with nfs mounts, it may also be the case
with other filesystems.

Having said that, are you explicitly exporting the looback filesystem?
(and did you do it before or after mounting the loopback image)

Carl G