[plug] KDE+OpenOffice and CodeWeavers - antagonism in Gentoo?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 13:24:29 WST 2005

At 12:40 PM 13/01/2005, W.Kenworthy wrote:
>It could be the oo icon associations in the desktop (gnome sometimes
>gets caught by that), but does oo run from a terminal (oofice, or
>oowriter)?  And can you try root, or another user.

Using VNC into the machine as root I can fire up ooffice, writer, calc, etc
just fine.   If I have a top display going while opening or doing anything
with the OO.o I can see soffice.bin taking up resources as you would expect.

If I VNC in as the normal user and have top running, soffice.bin comes up
briefly but there is no attempt to create the window for OO.o use.   If I
fire up VNC as another plain user, using OO.o for the first time, all is
well ... OO.o asks for registration, etc.   So it looks like only one user
is affected.

>If not, you may need to reboot, as I have had cases (not recently
>though) where that was the only way to get it up as I couldnt identify
>what was stopping it starting up.

Have not done a reboot since re emerging OO.o I must admit.   I'll suggest
it to the user.

>oo is very complex in the way it interacts with the system - too complex
>I think, though 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 look much better.

Sure is a complex beast - had a brief look at the .openoffice directory in
the user's  home.   Ouch.  Using 1.1.1 at the moment.

Thanks.   Will report any interesting progress as it may save others pain
in future.
Denis