[plug] KDE+OpenOffice and CodeWeavers - antagonism in Gentoo?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 22:29:11 WST 2005

At 01:24 PM 13/01/2005, Denis Brown wrote:
>At 12:40 PM 13/01/2005, W.Kenworthy wrote:
>>It could be the oo icon associations in the desktop (gnome sometimes
>>gets caught by that), but does oo run from a terminal (oofice, or
>>oowriter)?  And can you try root, or another user.
>
>Using VNC into the machine as root I can fire up ooffice, writer, calc,
>etc just fine.   If I have a top display going while opening or doing
>anything with the OO.o I can see soffice.bin taking up resources as you
>would expect.

Bit of an unsatisfactory "conclusion" to this one so far, through lack of
time but FWIW...   copied the user's data files in home directory to
another directory,  deleted the username and recreated the
username.   Copied back the files to the new home directory, along with a
few precious settings and all's well.

In several other respects this machine is a bit of a Sick Puppy (tm) and I
suspect that some user "adventures in what-can-this-do land" might have
been part of the problem along with the aforementiond CrossOver Office that
went toes up.   When I Get Time (tm) I'll do a serious elimination of
garbage, do an update of the world packages and see how happy that makes it
:-)   I mention this blow-away-user-and-start-again process in the hope
that it may prove helpful to others.

Denis