[plug] Thanks Craig!

harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Jan 21 13:07:22 WST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:38:40 +0800 Timothy White <weirdo at tigris.org> wrote:

Hi Tim

> If your solution is really good for low end machines maybe you could
> post it.
>
> On that note, is it possible to get parts of the Computer Angels distro
> for low end machines for us at home trying to setup a low end machine
> for a kid?

Quick overview of Computer Angels in Jan 2005 ..

We've kept afloat in the past two years on our Door Sales and disposal of
several large bits of gear. Still haven't sold that colour laser tho' :-(
.. we think we'll set it up as the main CA printer now.

We have had to rethink our approach in order to sustain Computer Angels. We
are preparing a big change to our web site but, in summary, there will be a
moderate fee for training (computer at the end of training will still be
free). For people who just want a computer these will be available to
purchase but for more than the courseware (because our ethos is to "promote
and encourage computer literacy" and the sale of computers will subsidise
our programme for eligible people). All machines will have what we think is
the simplest Internet setup in the known universe (thanks to some more of
Cameron's work) and will support dial-up or ethernet ADSL (not pppoe) with
a few mouse clicks.

In addition, we'll be offering installations to the wider community for a
moderate fee.

_However_ we have spoken about a significant discount on the installation
of a machine for PLUG card holders. It won't take a PhD in astro-physics to
work out that being a card carrying PLUG member prior to an installation
will be the way to go.

Anyhoo, there'll be information on the web site soon-ish and we may need
another Door Sale in the meantime to carry us through.

Also, we've discussed running a "bring out your new peripherals" day so we
can test them and publish a list of gear that we've seen run well with
the distro. This'll mainly be for PLUG people and will also give us a
chance to show off the new distro.

>From what I've seen of PLUG's activities too, I don't know if Linux will
sweep aside boring desktops around the planet this year but there's
a few people with big brooms and a glint in their eye in Perth atm :-)

cu
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/