[plug] Bulgaria embargoes Windows licence renewals

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 30 21:12:23 WST 2005

Heise online reports that the Bulgarian government is stalling on
renewing 30,000 XP licences at this time. The decision on renewal
has been left to the next cabinet which will be formed in June.

The Bulgarian Internet Society (ISOC) has set several processes
against Microsoft in motion and are currently under investigation by
the federal attorney general. Further complaints have been lodged
through Bulgaria's Fair Trade and Consumer Protection bodies.

ISOC is currently acting on behalf of United Nations Development
Programme (UNDP) on implementing the Open Source Project in the
Balkans. The project involves supporting communities in the
implementation and training of Linux and OpenOffice. The technical
coordinator says that demand for the programme is enormous.

The UNDP project is notable in that even in Kosovo, one can find
support for Linux and OpenOffice. In Kosovo, as in Bulgaria,
migration has been simplified due to lack of pre-existing standards
and dependence on Windows.

Original article (in German)
	http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/55570