[plug] Dazed and Confused - Need Help ?

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:13:30 WST 2005

Hey Arie,

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:15:42 +0800, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile for the wiser heads of PLUG to get together and work-out some form of
> approach for newcomers to Linux, regarding :
>
> 1 - Selecting a particular distro to recommend for "beginners"
>         (thinks - maybe the Computer Angels distro)

I think this is probably a wrong choice - I think a popular supported
distro with one of the big two GUI environments is the way to go.
Ubuntu/Fedora for Gnome and Mandrake/Suse for KDE.

Linux has an even higher learning curve when trying to install a
minimalist Windows Manager , and is unlikely to impress friends until
highly customized.

(Note: i've never seen the CA distro, my understanding is its debian+fvwm)

> 2 - Create a pathway for them to follow.
>         (thinks - Then everybody knows where they are going and what comes next)

Surely someone somewhere has a nice doco on "The path to computer
literacy" even if its not for linux (I'm sure apple must have
published something like this)

Random Thoughts.

Carl G