[plug] Need help getting into publisher files.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jul 3 18:13:25 WST 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:27:32PM +0800, Meryon Montgomery wrote:
> I've recently helped a friend switch from windoze. They are able to get
> around the system and use various tools like OO.org and Scribus to
> create documents.

Please get them to upgrade to Scribus 1.2.2 when it comes out (soon).
There are *lots* of bug fixes and some significant improvements.

> The problem is this; they have several publisher documents that they
> need to get into, I've googled and found that there is no one easy
> solution to this problem ( has to do with the horrible file format that
> publisher uses).

Yep. You don't have much in the way of options here, unfortunately. The
best one may well be to export the text and graphics from the .pub files
to normal formts, then redo the document :S

There has been a bunch of discussion about this on the Scribus mailing
list; searching the archives there may be useful.

> Has anyone found a way to get .pub files imported into scribus or
> OO.org. I'm thinking about a print to ps or eps and seeing if I can
> import that?

That may work. Scribus can import PS, but cannot (yet) import raster
images from PS. PS will also be imported as vectors, rather than text,
so it's editable only to a limited extent.

--
Craig Ringer