[plug] Network Opinions

simon simon at plumtek.com
Mon Jul 18 12:49:30 WST 2005

Mark B (mark at tophits.com.au) wrote:

>     I may get alot of flame for this one, but out of experience I would
> recommend placing either a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server in place to

Your reasoning is sound, except that he appears to be doing this for
free/charity. Discounting his time to be valued at zero, a linux solution will
be cheaper overall since the only cost to the client in this case is
licensing.

Similar to yourself, I setup samba etc at home to service a handful of clients
(which has now depleted to 1 Win XP box, the rest are linux). I also setup
openldap etc for authentication. While it took me ages, and I hit several
problems requiring considerable work/reading, if I had to do it again it would
be much quicker.... the time after that, quicker again. At some point, Id be
confident enough to set it up for a client for a reasonable fee for labour,
which at that point would probably be on par with the labour costs for the
equivalent windows solution.

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com