[plug] Virtual machines inside virtual reality?

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:51:06 WST 2005

On 7/20/05, Rod <bwarff at obsidian.com.au> wrote:
> ive been pondering a virtual OS done using python/dbus/sqlite/<gui>
> for a while now..
>
> my experience years ago with vrml left a bad taste in
> my mouth, so id probably look towards one of the gaming engines like
> crystalspace - the difference being that vrml is more of a wish list
> than a working environment, while gaming engines tend to be optimised
> towards being fast, provided you can work with their limitations....

Limitations!! Check out the Half Life 2 Engine. I'm sure if you could
work out some keyboard and mouse input methods, the TV screens would
suffice for a display adapter. It's a pretty powerful engine. And I
guess for keyboard input you could (in the dev stages of course) just
say what you want to type, and for mouse look at what you want.

This would actually be pretty cool, must look at other engines and see
how they would fair.

Tim