[plug] mailing list behavior

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 2 15:46:17 WST 2005

Gavin Chester wrote:

> Two questions to the list maintainer:
>
> 1/ the "reply address" for posting doesn't always fix itself at the
> group's address - sometimes it's the poster's address, sometimes both
> the group and the poster.  I often forget to check my "send to" and send
> straight to the the poster instead of the group.

The list adds itself to the reply-to header, rather than replacing it.
Hence if people set a Reply-To header in their own messages, the
replies will usually be sent to them and also .  In particular, it
seems that mail from most G-mail users has the Reply-To set, even when
it is unnecessary.  The PLUG list address should always be _somewhere_
in the Reply-To header.  If it is not, please let me know (off-list)
which messages have incorrect headers, and I'll look into it.

I'm largely in the "don't care" camp about Reply-To munging, as I have
configured my mailer to ignore the Reply-To address on mailing list
posts.  So if people would like the list's Reply-To to only ever point
to the list address, regardless of the author's Reply-To setting, let
me know and I can configure Mailman appropriately.

> 2/ In my preferences I've asked for confirmation email and to see a copy
> of my own postings.  However, I never see my own postings - and there's
> no filtering in my client affecting that my end.  I like to maintain an
> intact local threaded view that gets out of whack if my own postings
> don't come to me.

The mail logs on shameless.plug.org.au show that both the confirmation
message and a copy of your own message were accepted by Hotmail's
servers.  Since I (and other people) am receiving copies of my own
posts as expected, it seems likely that this issue is particular to
your mail set-up, so it would be better to continue this part of the
conversation off-list.

Cheers,

Cameron.  (The Poor Sod Who Ends Up Looking Into These Things.)

FWIW: admin at plug.org.au is a good address to send these kinds of
queries to.