[plug] Time format in Debian Sarge

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jun 9 10:48:30 WST 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:53 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Is it possible to change the displayed time format in Debian Sarge?
>>
>> If so, how?
>>
>> I appear to have only the format mm/dd/yy for the short format, and DDD
>> MMM dd yyyy for the long format, and either the English format, where
>> the date precedes the month, or the ISO format yyyy-mm-dd, are
>> preferred.
>
> This is controlled by your locale settings. Set your default locale to
> en_AU or en_AU.UTF-8 to get the desired effect. IIRC you can do this
> from `dpkg-reconfigure locales' or on a per-user basis by setting the
> LANG and LC_ALL (or for well behaved apps, just LC_TIME) environment
> variables in your user startup scripts.
>
> The `locale' command will give you a nice summary of your current
> settings.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Using the locale command, shows that each locale setting is "POSIX",
except LC_ALL, which has no value assigned.

Using the dpkg-reconfigure locales command, shows that en_AU ISO-8859-1
and en_IN UTF-8 and en_US ISO-8859-1, are checked.

Should the date be displayed using the USA format, with these settings?

I want to retain the USA keyboard layout, but use UK English language
and UK English or ISO date display format.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale