[plug] ADSL stressed out?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 9 19:21:47 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 18:12 +0800, Kai wrote:

> [...]

I used to have a SpeedTouch home - it ran entirely reliably for three
years, until its power supply fried. Even then, if I hadn't been in a
hurry I would've just replaced the power supply not the modem.

> >>And do you have any network monitoring logs? ;)

Some modems - I don't recall if the speedtouch home is one of them,
since I rarely needed to troubleshoot it (my problems were generally
identified by calling iiNet and getting the engaged beep on their
support line as a signal they were down) - have logs of connection
quality, etc. I do think the SpeedTouch home has some diagnostics.

It might also be worth checking with a network tech, then if appropriate
switching protocols. I recall this solved a problem I was having with
another modem at one point - it used to drop out and run unreliably, but
work, and when I used its serial terminal to switch it to G.ANSI on the
advice of a large-brained WestNet tech, the issue went away.

> Are you using a cordless phone ? do you have a long extension cord on
> your phone(s) ? do you have any devices that high initial surge currents
> on them (like fluoro lights) near the ADSL line/phone line ? no
> disrespect intended in the next question but is your ADSL filter plugged
> into the wall the right way ?

Another one worth checking, just in case you had a slow brain day when
you installed it (it sure happens to me) is whether the ADSL filter
ended up plugged into the ADSL modem ;-)

This is likely to have rather more severe effects than the odd drop-out,
mind you, unless the filter is utterly crap. Even so...
--
Craig Ringer