[plug] OT - Machine naming schemes

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 12 09:13:25 WST 2005

Quoting Matthew Lambie <mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au>:
> Evening all,
>
> A quick poll: What do people name their machines after? I saw the other
> day that there was a Dilbert network, and when I was at Vianet all the
> machines were named after dead rock stars. The SGI lab at Curtin used to
> have Star Trek names and at home I use GI Joe characters (I'm on
> Stormshadow now, and have Duke, Falcon, Lifeline, Destro - the shiny
> silver wizard, Snakeeyes, Dialtone - the Asterisk server, and others ;)

Well, iiNet used to use musical references (opera, rave, trance etc), but we've
reverted to something more meaningful now to indicate physical location and purpose.

At home I name machines after deities, and change the name after every rebuild.
Currently I've got isis, ishtar, thoth and hathor.

A place in the UK where I worked gave me the job (amongst others) of assigning
names, so each subnet (department) was named differently - fish (with the RS6000
named ceolacanth (sp?)), colours, metals, rivers, mammals etc. Great fun.

Hook