[plug] OT - Machine naming schemes

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 12 11:41:48 WST 2005

Matthew Lambie wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> A quick poll: What do people name their machines after?

On DXTuners (www.dxtuners.com) we use town names followed by radio
equipment for our node names.

eg if a site only has one rig we use the town name, if it's got two rigs
we use town name and or nickname and or rig name. Like our node in
Kvarngården, 30k's from Malmö, Sweden has multiple rigs for different
purposes but instead of naming it r75 or longwire we've called it
sydkust which is Swedish for "south coast" 'cause the radio is located
on the south coast and we've already had a node named malmo and one
called kvarngarden :)

Pretty logical, some may say it's boring but when you have 50+ nodes and
if something breaks you don't wanna be trying to remember what you
called the node in Venezuala before you can log-in to it and see what's
wrong :)

A list of receiver locations is here if anyone's interested:
http://www.dxtuners.com/servlet/IBMainServlet/?ib_page=110

Cheers
Kai