[plug] Voice Over IP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 13 14:10:29 WST 2005

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

>Are they legal? Seriously I'd talk these people out of using these things.
>Last time I got a recorded phone spam I spent the next day tracking the
>company down so I could get the satisfaction of yelling the hell at them.

They're certainly legal under some circumstances. The WA Police have a
media information service that calls you and plays a recorded bulletin,
for example. It, however, is (a) opt-in and (b) not selling anything.

That said, in general I find recorded message calls so infuriating it's
difficult to describe. I had one where it called, waited about 20s in
silence, then said "this message was intended only for an answering
machine" and hung up. *ARRRGGH*. Let's just say I'll be requesting an
incoming calls record this month.

--
Craig Ringer