[plug] govt website links - how?

Mark Fryer mfryer at westnet.com.au
Wed Jun 29 23:28:03 WST 2005

Gavin Chester wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Trying to tackle an issue that I ignored before, but now I really want
>to get to the bottom of it :-0
>
>It bugs me that the many govt websites that advertise jobs then seem to
>make it impossible to access the info (JDFs, criteria, etc).
>Specifically, some sites have JDFs only in MS.doc format, but others
>don't even let me get that far because the links throw up a message to
>save the file but then nothing happens after that.  Currently I'm
>stumped again by links on this sort of page (the waaay long URL will
>wrap):
>http://wchs.health.wa.gov.au/careers/jobvacs/jobDetails.php?
>PositionId=255538&ReqAppDate=2005-06-07&PHPSESSID=4afd038ced7b74ae3f56e6a592afc9ae
>
>My wife wants to see the selection criteria but I can't seem to help
>her.  Anyone got some trick to accessing these links or is this an equal
>opportunity issue where they're conspiring against Linux users?
>
>Gavin

What you might find in your home directory (or default save directory)
is a file called '255538' which matches the position id in the url. It
appears to do nothing after download probably because it doesn't prompt
for a name but downloads to the default location with default name. Open
office should open this fine. If this hadn't been on a fresh install
with my home dir open in the background I wouldn't have noticed it.

Excuse anything newbie, I had to make a first message at some point...
Mark Fryer