[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Mar 17 15:29:28 WST 2005

Kev wrote:

> However, Nero are making out that NeroLinux is free (large font
> "FREE"), and it's not!  Playing semantic hop-scotch with Windoze Nero
> doesn't alter the fact that you must pay for NeroLinux - it's not
> free.  Why not be upfront and just say so.  I own a lot of proprietary
> software, and have no qualms about paying for good stuff. My gripe is
> about their dishonesty.

I'd like to point out that your gripe is a waste of time because what
you are talking about it a difference of background. From an OSS
perspective Nero isn't free, but from a Windows perspective it is,
because in a Windows world software costs money, in fact Nero normally
costs money - and I'm talking about a full version, not an OEM bundled one.

I was going to write: "So stop whinging and think a little before you leap."

But I'm sure that would upset some people, so instead, celebrate that
Ahead software is developing software for Linux, that it costs nothing
and that it's another player in the Linux sand-box. Could Ahead improve
on that, I'm sure, but do they need to - I don't think so.

/me ducks for flames...

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°32'27" - E146°24'35" (Leeton, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..