[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Thu Mar 17 16:56:55 WST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:36, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Actually, I'd argue that "bill" has gone to significant lengths not
> to tread on their software vendors in these areas while still
> providing the user with the minimal functionality they need. Windows
> not shipping with some unzip tool has been a sad joke since at least
> win98, for example.

Absolutely. I wonder when they're going to start including a compiler
and a proper shell too. Then it would almost be an operating system!

> Of course, it's one thing to ship basic functionality that is
> important for common computer uses, and another to actively make it
> impossible to replace or disable (MSIE comes to mind).

And it's yet another thing to abuse vendors who want to preinstall
competing browsers in addition to the MS-bundled one, which I believe
is one of the main things that the USDoJ really didn't like.

As for burner software, I've tried a few different flavours, and I'd say
K3B beats everything I've tried under MS Windows and Gnu/Linux.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/