[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 17 21:09:55 WST 2005

<rant>
OMG!!!! I thought I'd only have to put up with this tripe on /. !!!

My Diety!

People don't produce linux versions, you people whinge.
People announce a free linux download if you buy a license (which happens to
be Nero for Win), you people *STILL* whinge.
It's public attitudes like this that scare off software developers from
releasing linux versions of software. You people didn't complain when you
could buy Quake2 or Unreal Tournament (Windows) and download the free Linux
version. Eventually iD sold Quake3 and Quake2 in a retail linux box....

Sheesh!

</rant>

> > I was going to write: "So stop whinging and think a little
> before you
> > leap."
>
> Maybe, just perhaps, stretching my imagination a wee bit, you
> should have a little think before committing to tripe such as
> the foregoing.
>
> > But I'm sure that would upset some people, so instead,
> celebrate that
> > Ahead software is developing software for Linux, that it
> costs nothing
>
> It does cost!!  It costs money!  You must spend the money on
> a registered full Window$ version before you can have
> NeroLinux.  Just read the info on the Nero site.

See above...

> > and that it's another player in the Linux sand-box.
>
> That's good!  But if you actually spent the few seconds
> required to read my previous post, I have no complaint about
> another player in the Linux sandbox, nor about paying money
> for good software.  What I don't like is the trumpet blowing
> about NeroLinux being free when it quite clearly isn't.

Semantics. Don't get me started on how everyone jumps at the word "free" and
bends it to their own definition. Marketers, Microsoft, OSF and us.

> > /me ducks for flames...
>
> Well, unless you can come up with something a little more
> thought out you deserve a few.
>
> Cheers
> Kev
> =========
> Kev Downes
> kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2

Thankyou Ahead for producing a linux product. There are few companies
willing to at least see the linux buyers demographic.

CraigF.