[plug] trouble installing Redhat 9

Bret Busby bret.busby at operamail.com
Sun Mar 27 02:34:46 WST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buddrige" <dbuddrige at wasp.net.au>
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: [plug] trouble installing Redhat 9
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:31:32 +0800

> Hi all, I've an old PII 333Mhz with 64MB RAM, which I am trying to
> set up as an internet proxy server.  I'm atttempting to install
> Redhat 9 on it.  I've managed to get through the install ok, and
> the dialog saying that the install was successful has been
> displayed, however when I reboot the machine, I get a series of
> what appear to be kernel messages saying things like: do_reset1
> [kernel] 0x190
> handle_vm86_fault [kernel]
> secure_tcp.sequence_number
> ip_defrag [kernel] It is important to note that this is not the
> full messages - they scroll off the screen, and repeat over and
> over, so its a bit tricky to note them all down [and there's lots
> of them also]. Has anyone seen this problem before?  Could it be a
> dicky hard drive ?  or perhaps somethign else? thanks heaps guys,
> David. _______________________________________________

This is not an answer to your question, but I wonder at the wisdom of installing Red Hat 9.

According to a message from the Red Hat Network, dated 14 January 2004, Red Hat Linux 9 (RH9) had a use by date of 30 April 2004, when, according to Red Hat, RH9 reached the end of its life.

I bought RH9 in 2003, and it was a ripoff. It was not until installing, that I found that the computer on which we tried to install it, had insufficient RAM for a graphical installation, as the shrinkwrapped pack had no minimum system requirements on the outside of the pack, and the manual had no minimum system requirements, and the manual had no instructions for a text-based installation. The computer on which we tried to install RH9, previously had RH6.2 running quite happily on it, but RH6.2 could not be updated, so we had got RH9, to have the system able to be updated, but we could not get past GO, with RH9. From memory, we had to reinstall RH6.2 on the computer, which was our firewall/gateway/mailserver.

A copy off the RH9 manual, is at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/index.html

I had bought Red Hat official shrink wrap packs before that, and, that was the last time that I bought Red Hat Linux, and, the latest version of Red Hat Linux, that we found to be useable, that we had installed, is Red Hat 7.3, which is still installed on one or two computers here. Unfortunately, Red Hat 7.3 is past its use-by date, but is still works when needed.

After that, I gave up on Red Hat Linux, as an operating system worth getting.

We have Debian Woody and Sarge installed on Pentium 1 computers with 64MB of RAM - one is a firewall/gateway, and one is a mailserver. They run okay.

I suggest trying Debian Woody or Sarge, or, if you want an easier installation, whilst I have not used it, Mandrake is supposed to be easy to install and use, and from what I understand, is the replacement for Red Hat Linux, from when Red Hat changed its policies back in 2003/2004, and, Mandrake 10.1 is available on recent computer magazines.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale