[plug] Redhat 6.1

David Buddrige dbuddrige at wasp.net.au
Sun Mar 27 18:37:20 WST 2005

Couldn't find my Debian CD, and with the problems I was having with RH9.0, I
decided to fish out an old Redhat 6.1 CD that I had lying around gathering
dust.

The task at hand, is to get an internet proxy so that my wife, border and I
can all share our 56k modem line to surf the web.  I know this is going to
be slow as anything but its better than nothing for the time being [funds
being a bit on the low side].

I actually managed to get 6.1 to install onto my P2 333Mhz machine [no
surprise there] but now am having hassles getting it to work with my monitor
on X.  I have a LiteOn monitor; the Redhat 9 CD had detected it as being a
CM1454NEL model.  Unfortunately, Redhat 6.1 doesn't seem to have proper
drivers for this particular monitor, so I can't seem to get it to work with
the monitor.

There are two ways around this.  Me being the lazy sort, who never got
around to figuring out how to do ppp in text mode, I've always just used the
graphical ppp tools provided by Redhat and ilk such as kppp; hence the need
for X to be working properly.

So, either I get X working on this machine [with my CM1454NEL monitor], or I
have to learn how to set up ppp with text-mode tools under redhat 6.1.
Alternately, I wait until I can find someone with another distro and a
CD-burner.  I actually visited about 5 different Newsagents today, trying to
find one that was open, so I could get Fedora or somesuch.  However, when I
eventually found a newsagency that was open and had the computer mag's I was
after, it turns out they're all on DVD now - and I don't have a DVD drive in
my computer - only a 32X CDROM. 8-(

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for a CM1454NEL monito for Redhat
6.1  ?  I've been searching google, but no luck so far...

cheers

David.