[plug] Suse root

simon simon at plumtek.com
Thu May 5 15:52:28 WST 2005

doodli (doodli at westnet.com.au) wrote:

> New to Linux so be gentle.

Someone pass the lube.

> Somehow I have managed to stop myself from
> logging on as root. OS is Suse 9.2 . The login screen now only allows
> ordinary users to login, no root login allowed. While in some ways I
> suppose this is OK it is also got me buggered what I did to cause it.
> This is in KDE desktop, I can still press CTRL +ALT +F2 and log in there
> as root and also konsole allows su , so it is only KDE that is being
> difficult to get on with.
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

I would have thought that was the default.... root + X = bad idea...

Are you sure you were logging in as root from KDM?

It is always good practise to login as a normal user and then su to do any
administration.... if there are things you must run as root commonly, check
out sudo.

> PS Has anyone been able to get their hands on Suse 9.3 yet?

I run Mandriva, so.... no :)

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com