[plug] Suse root

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:55:51 WST 2005

> > Somehow I have managed to stop myself from
> > logging on as root. OS is Suse 9.2 . The login screen now only allows
> > ordinary users to login, no root login allowed. While in some ways I
> > suppose this is OK it is also got me buggered what I did to cause it.
> > This is in KDE desktop, I can still press CTRL +ALT +F2 and log in there
> > as root and also konsole allows su , so it is only KDE that is being
> > difficult to get on with.
> > Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> I would have thought that was the default.... root + X = bad idea...

It should be the default in most distros.

> Are you sure you were logging in as root from KDM?

Regardless, it makes more sense to login as a normal user and use
sudo. Plus it means you don't have to worry about accidently saving
documents as root, or deleting files or clogging up the root's home
directory with . files. Also, if your home directory becomes full then
normal users can't login, that's when logging in via console makes
sense as root (as root has access to the last 5% of the space)

Tim