[plug] doorbell

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Thu May 26 10:25:14 WST 2005

>> But Gavin, it's such an obvious, simple, effort-free, life-having
>solution.
>>
>> Where's the geek cred in that ?!

Why does one always have to make life so difficult. I'm a firm believer in
taking
the easy solution to a problem.

I think you need to look around for a good lifestyle some one has traded up
on!

>Once upon a time I had a 15" Woofer mounted in the ceiling above the door
>linked to a 300W amp and a
>short digital recording of the old doorbell from the Addams family.
>Scared the wits outa many a JW :p)

This is a creative approach! If you have that much sound blasting your ears
then
may I suggest a mains power relay that turns off your monitor or better yet
triggers
a shutdown of your computer when the door bell button is pressed.

I think the portable door bell is the way to go, you could wire that
straight to your
headphones, amp or sound system. That would not be at all difficult.

Mark