[plug] Apache 1.3 x 2 on the one box

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:16:12 WST 2005

I'm not 100% sure what 'rhel 3' is, but in general you can run 2
instances of apache on any box. You need to specify a different port
for one though (so one on port 80, and maybe one on 81?)
I think you'll find, depending on which apache 'engine' it is running,
it'll probably add a little bit of memory, but not CPU.

I'm not sure about apache versions less than 2, but I know for apache
2, my options are as follows
apache2-mpm-perchild - experimental high speed perchild threaded model
for Apache2
apache2-mpm-prefork - traditional model for Apache2
apache2-mpm-threadpool - experimental high speed model for Apache2
(transitional package)
apache2-mpm-worker - high speed threaded model for Apache2
apache2-prefork-dev - development headers for apache2
apache2-threaded-dev - development headers for apache2

So I guess using some of those will give you more memory usage than
others, when running 2 instances, while others won't make much of a
difference.

I'm not 100% sure what your try to do with 2 apache instances, but if
you want to domain's virtual domains are a better idea, 1 server,
multiple domains.

Tim