[plug] Mozilla Calendar with Neon

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 8 13:42:34 WST 2005

Evert van Dijk wrote:

>Has anyone used Neon to host the .ics files that are used to store the
>Calendar data for Mozilla Calendar?
>http://webdav.org/neon/
>
>I want host several users files with the intention of being able to book
>appointments/tasks/to do lists for each other.
>I was going to setup an internal web server using the Mod_dav Module for
>Apache (http://webdav.org/mod_dav/) when it came to my attention that
>Neon was a dedicated app.
>I installed it on SuSE 10 using the Yast2 tool but I cannot find where
>to edit the .conf file or where the binary file is to start it.

libneon is a WebDAV client implementation in library form. I think it's
client-side only, but I'm not sure. Apache2's mod_dav doesn't appear to
use it, anyway. There's a simple command-line client called `cadaver'
(eew) that does use it, and is somewhat useful for testing.

>Should I continue with Neon or should I return to my original plan of
>Apache with mod_dav?

I'd go with Apache 2 and mod_dav . It works very well; I've been using
mod_dav with mandatory client certificates for some time to provide
limited access to some resources inside the network for roaming users.
The client cert requirement means they don't even get to try to
authenticate unless they have a cert I provided, limiting exposure to
brute force attacks and some classes of potential exploit. I've also
been very impressed with Subversion's apache 2 support, which builds on
mod_dav .

--
Craig Ringer