[plug] DFI Motherboards - Sound

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Oct 14 16:03:52 WST 2005

On 14 Oct 2005 at 11:11, Kev wrote:

> Hi Arie
>
> Arie Hol wrote:
> >
> > On 13 Oct 2005 at 23:00, Mr Shayne wrote:
>
> > When I was a young guy, I drove a Holden EH sedan powered by a 186 X2
> > "red motor" which came out of a HR Holden sedan, it also had a four
> > speed box.
>
> So sorry to burst your bubble so late in life in Atie, but neither you,
> nor anybody else, ever had a 186 X2, unless of course you bored and
> stroked it yourself

Sorry to burst your bubble Bevin, but there was a limited release  of 186
X2's (this why I was so keen to get hold of one of them when I did) -
they had several problems with their overhead valve gear and lifters - in
my case the problem was solved by the use of "solid lifters" instead of
the standard hydraulic lifters. They also had problems with fibre timing
gears - this was overcome by replacing with steel gears from the 179's

They were soon redesignated to 186S -

The only real difference was :

The X2 motors had twin down draught carbies while the 186S had a single
side draught carby (if I remember correctly)

Regards Arie