[plug] e-mail contents

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Wed Oct 26 19:26:41 WST 2005

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> For reasons unknown to me, when I receive a message where the word is
> in  between "*", as in "reason" above, it is coming out in bold on my
> Thunderbird.
>
> This has only been happening in the last few days, and I haven't seen
> this before. Is this some new feature?
>
> Alex

To the best of my knowledge, Thunderbird has always done this.

The reason that you may have only just noticed it is that it generally
only happens within plain text emails.

In other words, most of the time emails that support embedded formatting
/ HTML the use of *, / or _ will have no effect and this is true for
most of the mail that I send and receive.

However, while viewing a plain text emails (such as PLUG sends),
Thunderbird will try to put the correct formatting in to correspond to
how the writer would have wanted it to be.

I am pretty sure you can turn it off because I have heard it mentioned
before that you can, but I don't know where off the top of my head and
couldn't find it in options at first glance, plus there is not 'about:
config' in Thunderbird so you can't fiddle with as much, as easily, as
you can in FireFox, for example.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX