[plug] debian console screen size

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 30 13:35:34 WST 2005

Ashley Jennings wrote:
> Hey Caleb :-) ,
>
> my toshiba laptop has a BIOS setting
> LCD Display Stretch = Enabled
>
> which expands console out to full size.  There may be similar on yours.

Good point. was working on the assumption that he wanted more working
area while keeping crisp, clean text, which using a framebuffer console
will get you. A VGA console with small fonts scaled up to full screen
will probably be .. er .. ugly.

If you're happy with the standard console size and can live with the
scaling, then sure that's a good plan. Personally, scaling is the first
thing I turn off.

> It also has the smallest window to press F1 to get into System Setup
> of any boot sequence I have seen. about 0.003 of a second from power
> on!  I just tap on it like I'm playing Hyper Olympics and everything
> is cool    (c:

I was never sure F1 actually did get into BIOS on Toshiba laptops,
having never been able to actually hit it in time. The easiest way to
get into BIOS seems to be to hold down escape during boot until the
laptop thinks it has a keyboard error. At that point, it'll prompt you
to hit F1 to enter BIOS (and it works).

--
Craig Ringer