[plug] [OT] Digital still camera batteries

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Sep 7 16:52:15 WST 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:07, Chris Caston wrote:
> I recently bought a Canon PowerShot A400 and now find that the
> batteries are already dead after only a few days.
>
> Its says it takes 2x AA-size alkaline batteries (included) or 2x AA
> NiMH batteries.
>
> Can I just grab any AA alkaline or NiMH from the supermarket or do I
> need special camera batteries?

Technically, anything AA size should work.

> Which is best for long life?

Juice per cycle is determined by the milliampere-hourage.

Disposable batteries rarely list a mAh rating. Duracell and Engergizer
tend to last the longest (I think Duracell's MN1500 might be 1500 mAh,
going by the name).

I'm shopping around for rechargeable batteries and a charger myself.
Here's what I've found:

Rechargeable AA NiMH batteries currently go up to 2600 mAh, but those
are ridiculously expensive. Going down to 2500 mAh lets you have a set
of four for $13 from Bozcorp (add $9.50 for Aussie Post shipping).

http://www.bozcorptech.com.au/rechargeable-aa-nimh-batteries-2500mah-4pack-p-4548.html

The number of usable cycles you get out of a battery depends on how well
it's treated.

Dumb chargers will treat all batteries equally, only letting you charge
multiple batteries at a time and having several batteries share the
same circuit. This means that if your batteries have different
remaining capacity, you might end up with poorly charged batteries. In
the worst case, you get reverse charging. Dumb chargers also overheat,
overcharge, and charge batteries too fast.

Smart chargers, then, have individual circuits for each battery, charge
at a sensible, stable rate, and avoid overcharging. Again, I've found
what I deem to be the best option at Bozcorp for $49.00 not including
shipping.

http://www.bozcorptech.com.au/smart-nimh-nicad-battery-charger-discharger-10x-aa-aaa-p-4660.html

--
Alex Nordstrom